Wednesday, June 24, 2009

He's Turned the Corner

There really is something to that phrase "over the hill". I mention this because on thinking back on Matt's birthday party, I noticed how the older people get the more they really do revert to children in many ways. Infants even. What got this whole train of thought careening down the tracks was that I realized 10pm was pretty early for a birthday part to end. So early bed times led me to notice soft foods, lack of hair (scalp located at least), poor motor skills (automobile- and physiology-wise), diapers, and... well things just snowballed form there. You get the picture. Clearly I'm not the first person to think of this, but I always thought it was a little silly until I gave it some thought.

Matt's party was at Bolsa Chica State Beach. Everyone showed up that evening for the bonfire, but the hardcore group of real friends showed up early that morning. And by that, of course, I mean Matt's surfing buddies. Not me. I was sleeping. But I did show up around lunchtime and Matt and I spent the afternoon playing cornhole, and he even got me out on some waves. It was gnarly, brah. (not really, but I had fun)

The evening was spent, eating, cornholing, and burning a small forest's worth of wood. (Who put Matt in charge of the fire?) Anyway, happy birthday, Matt, good times. (You probably won't read this until the morning, since you're probably in bed already. It's 9:30.)

Pics here, natch.

had to cut the board wax out of my chest hair later

beth told matt he could have cookies before dinner

this didn't suck

2 comments: