Monday, June 1, 2009

Ballgame, Beach, and Burgers With the McIntosh's

It's been a while, but thing have been a little busy here (and there) the last week and a half or so. I was gone on business all last week (more on that another time), but before I left (on the red eye the night of Memorial Day) I met Jenny and Dave in San Diego. Dave was in town for a conference last week, and Jenny came along for a few days. I'm still a little tired from the trip so this will be a little shorter than usual - I think.

On the way down to meet them I stopped by and visited with my friends The Waterman's (Ryan, Julie, and Ben) in nearby Point Loma. I worked with Julie one summer in college, and their wedding was one of the first things I did after moving to LA. They've been offering for me to come down and visit for years now, and like the idiot I am, I failed to do so. I say idiot because San Diego is gorgeous. The weather is nicer than LA, and their sky is better by leaps and bounds. No smog. Fluffy clouds. All things I like. Not to mention they formerly lived on Coronado Island, one of the more unique places in San Diego, if not southern California. But their new place in Point Loma is very cool as well. It's an old Italian villa with lots of character. I love it. Good to see the Waterman's as well to catch up, Home Depot, and BBQ.

Casa Bella

From Point Loma to downtown should have only taken 20 minutes, but thanks to some awful directions and the closure of many streets, it took, well, just a little while longer. I made it over to Jenny and Dave in time for the ballgame but not for batting practice. I'm not sure if the Cubs made it for batting practice either because they couldn't hit anything. Ooooooohh... Cubs burn! Sorry Dave, thanks for the ticket though, guys! The game was pretty fun. Good crowd. Nice seats. Beatiful sky overhead. Stone IPA at the concessions. And Dave got his 5 for $5.

Petco Park (not a dog park)

Sunday, Jenny and Dave wanted to go to the zoo, but they were kind enough to tool around with me instead since I wasn't super pumped about a zoo trip. Even though it's supposed to be awesome. Again, wandering without much of a map, we ended up in La Jolla Cove which is one of the premiere beaches in SoCal. It did not dissapoint. Really cool place. I'd write more about it, but I'm tired, and this is already longer than I thought it would be. (I write slow.)

La Jolla Cove

The last stop of the weekend was Hodad's in Ocean Beach. I had been alerted to a CNN.com article on America's five best burgers and this was on the list (along with XXX's own Duane Purvis All-American Burger). It was a (huge) excellent burger, but the unique thing about Hodad's is the bacon patty. It was a little more than I could swallow, but a really good burger nonetheless. Maybe go for thie single next time. Definitely worth the trip if you're close. Or even reasonably close.

Hodad's

More pics here.

No comments:

Post a Comment