Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sequoia? I Hardly Know Ya!

I kicked of the summer camping season last weekend with a trip to Sequoia National Forest / Park / Monument. It wasn't a real adventurous trip, a majority of my time was spent sleeping / driving / eating with some short hikes and sweating (even though I was up around 8,000 feet most of the time, temps still managed to climb into the 80s) mixed in.

Being in a National Park, it had all the accompanying nuisances: the RV crowd, bad drivers, overzealous rangers, etc. I ended up doing a few touristy things that didn't turn out to be so bad. First, visited the visitor's center and picked up a 3D View-Master with reels for Sequoia an Yosemite, a nice addition to my desk toys. I actually had to go to the visitor's center to pick up tickets for the guided tour of Crystal Cave. Though I am not much for guided tours, the appeal here was that the cave stays around 50F, so I could escape the heat during the middle of the day. The tour turned out to be really cool, in fact, and really it was a good thing I went. I volunteered to bring up the rear of our group and was more or less responsible for the safety of roughly 40 people. I shudder to think what would have happened to all of them had I not been there. Not to mention the fact that they would have missed my clever The Price Is Right jokes wen the guide asked us all to guess the age of the cave. "One dollar, Bob." Surprisingly those all got a good chuckle out of everyone. I think it even endeared me to the family camped next to me as they came over to hang out a little later that night (I didn't even realize they were on the tour).

bringing up the rear

I took a little stroll up a cut-step trail to Moro Rock. It's a short hike (so the thing was packed) but fairly steep (so I still worked up a sweat - big surprise, I know) and still accessible to just about anyone that can walk (read: crowded). But the view was really incredible. I even drove through Tunnel Log.

Monday morning I spent at Hume Lake beating the heat before the soul crushing drive back to LA. Getting out, but having to deal with the crowds, really has me hankerin' to do some backpacking and get a little more wild. Who's with me? Pics here.

WWII Memorial of CA-99; kind of appropriate as
I read
Slaughterhouse-Five this weekend

of course I got to hang out with the big trees

finally getting the hang of these night shots; end up
staying up late though taking 30 min photos!

back to reality; the 405

1 comment:

  1. I'd go backpacking. But seeing as how I'm three or four states away probably not likely. I really liked the night shots!

    ReplyDelete