Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gettin' My Iron On

Fear not, loyal readers. This is not yet another laundry themed post. Though it is laundry related. Laundry adjacent - as are my dirty underwear. Hey Oooohhh! OK, that didn't really land, but you know what I mean.

Well it's only laundry related in the sense that the star of the post will at some point be laundry. It was Arts & Crafts Sunday here so I grabbed my iron and got to work on some projects I've had planned. The first was a requested "Eugene" shirt for J. R. (Justin's best gal). The "Eugene" is quickly becoming my most popular design. (I've made two of them now!) You'll notice that this incarnation has the trademarked Independent "e", as did the original. I went with an (appropriately) more feminine take this time around. J.R., congratulations, you've just had your wardrobe pimped. How do you feel?

From left: Eugene v2.0, Blogger, Eugene original

The second project marked a departure from the felt-based iron-ons I have worked with in the past, to the glamorous, fast-paced world of metallic iron-ons. There is considerable more risk with going metallic (designs are often more intricate and can be ruined without precise and careful peeling of the backer paper) and a bigger time investment (the iron must be left on the transfer for upwards of a minute - versus fifteen seconds with traditional felt transfers), but the money to be made in this market is lucrative. I've just got to remember to step back once in a while and take inventory of myself to make sure what I am doing is still in line with my craft ideals. The number of young iron-on artists who have spiralled to a steaming pit of artistic compromise chasing the fame and glory to be had in metallic iron-on transfers are too many to number.

Here's my first attempt. Critiques? Be gentle. (Alternate pic here. Close-up here.)


If you'd like any of the above designs, let me know. But don't expect me to get it done. I'm kind of busy. And feel free to visit your local Jo-Ann Fabric's and make your own "Jessie" or "Ingrid" (or the ironic "Iron On") design.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice Ryan. I don't think that anyone can read your blog and not get a good chuckle. You have a way with words. Nice job. Maybe our new baby will get a little onesie with her name on it? Although her name would have to be pretty short or else it might not fit....do they make miniature iron ons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Bro, you are crafty! Love the new metallic design. You are so amazing! Orders will be flowing in now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,

    My wardrobe has been pimped. I'm honored to have your first feminine version of the classic "eugene" shirt. Its hanging nicely in my closet. I can't wait to hear the comments people will say about it. Oh what joy I have coming. Anyway, thanks a heap. I still owe you those cookies. Shoot. next photo shoot ill hand them over.

    Toodles,
    J.R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ry, have you made yourself a "nathan" yet? I think it's necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, that is an excellent point. I have to this point overlooked it. It's not even in my pocket composition book where I keep all my iron-on or generally awesome ideas (this is true). Consider me on it.

    ReplyDelete