Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Reasons Number 3,286-3,289 Why I Love the Internet

Netflix. Recently I subscribed to Netflix and the insant streaming feature has me watching a lot of strange and strangely bad movies. (OK some of those were obviously going to be bad.) Tonight I was watching Streets of Fire which was, well, strange. A war veteran (Peter something) returns from overseas to find his ex-girlfriend and pop singer (Diane Lane) - now with her manager (Rick Moranis) - kidnapped by a leather, music, and anarchy-loving motorcycle gang led by Raven (Willem DaFoe). But what caught my eye was a minor character who tags along after the inevitable rescue who I recognie as the woman who played Dottie, bicycle mechanic and love interest, in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Which leads me to...

Google search. Duh. It's awesome. And linked me to Elizabeth Daily's (Dottie) Wikipedia entry...

Wikipedia. Yeah laugh if you want, but it's a quick and oft reliable method of finding information on nearly any subject. (Just before to check your facts somewhere else before spouting them off as unquestinoable truths, and don't use it as a source - or the only source - for a research paper. At any level of education.) Dottie's Wikipedia entry is easily the most fascinating thing I've read this week. Some tidbits I gleaned in case you don't have time to read the whole page (which I strongly encourage):
  • Voiced characters for the Rugrats and Powerpuff Girls
  • Was married to Rick Salomon who also "starred" in a "movie" (yep, that one) with Paris Hilton
  • Played Paris Hilton's mother in a movie
  • Dated several other notables (go to the wiki, it will blow your mind)
Internet Movie Database. I don't like this to the level of Wikipedia, but again good information source, which blessed me with the following tidbits of interest related to Pee Wee's Big Adventure:
  • Phil Hartman has a writer's credit
  • Directed by Tim Burton, who...
  • ...has a project underway for a full-length Frankenweenie film*
*The 29 minutes of video that are Frankweenie was included as a bonus on a tape (yep, VHS) of another full-length movie (can't remember what it was), and was one of the greatest entertainment moments of my childhood. If anyone could find this on DVD, well, you would rock. If you gave it to me. If you kept it for yourself, you would suck. Though I'd understand.

Thank you internets. Well done.

6 comments:

  1. The Nightmare Before Christmas (2-Disc Collector's Edition + Digital Copy) (1993) check this out on Amazon. I believe from what I've read (FRANKENWEENIE (Uncut Version) With New Introduction By Tim Burton)
    it has a copy of Frankenweenie on it and it's a DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you realize that not only have admitted to watching Pee Wee's Big adventure, but that you paid enough attention to it to recognize someone from it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no shame regarding watching Pee Wee. I think we all realize the genius of this movie now (as some of us did then).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember how much Ryan loved Pee Wee and his movies. He loved Large Marge especially back then. The 2 of us would watch Pee Wee's Playhouse on Sat mornings cause no one else could stand it. Pee Wee had a level of humor above the kid stuff that was pretty good. Then there was the mug shot. ugh. We'll see if Ryan clears my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, loved Pee Wee Herman and his classic movies and his character. Not that Paul Reubens has shown a lot of character in some of his real life adventures, but the character that he created was silly and goofy and stupid .. and, well, right up my alley. Kind of describes me a little bit, doesn't it? I don't know how many times I have said, "I'm a loner, Dottie." and either been misunderstood or misconstrued. It still makes me laugh today. So, Ryan, have fun watching those movies and researching crap on the internet and bringing back good childhood memories...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mcin: +1

    @Tom Paul: I too say "I'm a loner, Dottie... a rebel." Nobody ever knows what I'm referring to.

    ReplyDelete