Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tuttle Invasion - Day 2

When I left off last, we had just bedded down at our June Lake campsite. We got up early the next morning because we had a long day ahead of us, and because, well, it's hard to sleep past sunrise when your shelter is a thin synthetic mesh. So, yeah, up early. Had a quick breakfast of oatmeal and Oreos (Dad refused to eat oatmeal without milk - sheesh, princess), then packed up camp before grabbing some gas (and sweetened teas) just outside Yosemite.

It was a long, winding uphill drive to the park entrance at just below 10,000 feet elevation with views of the valleys and foothills below the whole way up. Just a short trip from the entrance drops into the famed Tuolomnee Meadows. We stopped there for a pit stop and stomped around while the prairie dogs played.

Tuolomnee Meadows

After Tuolomnee, we wound through Tioga Pass, alternated rock outcroppings and forest. The views were so beautiful in every direction that even Woody had a hard time falling asleep during the drive. A couple hours later, we start the slow descent into the floor of Yosemite Valley. Coming around the first bend where it is visible is shocking. Just a jaw-dropping site. Fortunately I was prepared so I didn't run the truck off the road and causing a 2,000 foot drop into a flaming ball of metal. This was the first time I was seeing it from the North side which somehow looks totally different.

Tioga Pass


Yosemite Valley from the north

I was planning on doing a little bit of hiking around the valley, but I couldn't manage to get my gear boxes into the bear extra bear boxes. Which was really odd since I was sure I brought them there before (Jeff reminded me that we had to turn them upside down to get them to fit). So with a truck bed full of food and drinks, we couldn't really take off for anywhere else. Which was fine anyway, because the valley was crammed full of visitors as is the case in summer. We made a few stops on the way out, checking out one of the meadows and searching for climbers on El Cap.

El Cap


Yosemite Valley from the south

It was a short drive out of the park from there, but a long, HOT stretch of road through the rolling hills of Fresno (I think it peaked at 101 - quite a difference from our 40 degree night). Once we hit Fresno, we turned East and headed for Sequoia National Forest where we would be camping that night. The road is steep uphill for a seemingly impossible distance before hitting the park entrance. After following a stubborn RV for about 30 minutes, we finally arrived at the campsite, tired and hungry. We received the obligatory "bear talk" from the Ranger on duty, which I thought was overdone quite a bit more than normal. Out of the Ranger's earshot, I told Dad and Woody they were just trying to scare people, but still to keep things locked up (mostly so I didn't get fined).

Quickly we set up camp and got dinner going. As we're sitting around enjoying the campfire post-meal, two dear gallop through the campground, passing by us no more than 20 yards away. Night falls and I start taking some long exposure shots of the black overhead. About 30 minutes later we start hearing a racket being made by campers up the hill from us. Flashlights shining everywhere, whistles blowing, banging pots and pans like it's New Year's Day. After about 15 minutes of this we realize that the Rangers talk might have been more than just a scare tactic. I was a couple minutes into a 15 minute exposure, but I thought to myself after that shot I would get my flash set up and my camera ready in case anything came near. Dad waited around for a few more minutes, but things seemed to be dying down with the bear alert so he climbed in the tent. Literally just two minutes later, the racket starts and all of a sudden the light beams are much closer. Shining down from the hill above, they illuminate a large black bear, and we watch the silhouette rumble through the campsite next to hours. Pretty exciting. Dad popped his head out of the tent, but it was already gone, lumbering down the hill. Woody and I stayed up a little while longer, but no more signs other than noise from alerted campers, getting further and further away.

wildlife visitors


taken while bear ran by; so close


More pics.

2 comments:

  1. Questions!

    1.) Why can't Richard eat oatmeal without milk?

    2.) You were such a rebel with the ranger. Why is it that every time I try to get you to break a rule you won't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) You'll have to ask him, and
    2) I didn't break any rules. I just thought the ranger was blowing smoke, and I understand the reason (to get people to take the bear rules seriously). I already take the bear rules seriously.

    ReplyDelete