Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tuttle Invasion - Day 1

Last week was the years-in-the-making trip to LA for Dad and Woody. We had tried it the last couple of years, but things got busy, and it just didn't work out. But this year, they were determined to make it, if only to get away from finishing the porch remodel. Just kidding. Kind of.

They had about a week to spend here in LA, and the only real request from the two was to get out and see some of California. Dad wanted to see the big trees and the Pacific, and Woody was noncommittal on everything. Except he wanted to sleep a lot. Not kidding. They had a late flight in Saturday night, and we hit the road early Sunday morning to head into the Wilderness. Yes, capital "W." Boosh.

It was a pretty ambitious plan I laid out, requiring about 1,000 miles of driving over the three days. But I wanted them to see a lot, and I think we accomplished that. The first day was a long drive up the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas into the Inyo National Forest just outside Yosemite National Park. It was a long, but scenic drive up US 395. We stopped in Lone Pine for some pictures below Mt. Whitney, and for some greasy, cheesy pizza in Lone Pine.

Lone Pine; foothills of the Eastern Sierra


US 395

Eventually we arrived at June Lake, a vomitously beautiful (yes, I nearly threw up it was so pretty) area nestled in the outskirts of Inyo. We set up camp quickly because I wanted to stop by nearby Mono Lake, famous for it's salt-filled protrusions and fly swarms. It was a really interesting place, full of very strange wildlife (according to the Visitors Center), but what I will remember most is the nasty smell.

June Lake

After our stop there, we headed back to camp and beautiful June Lake, where Woody and I went for a dip in the cool (VERY cool) waters. The water was incredibly clear and strangely silky. What a refreshing swim it was once one got used to the temperature. But a few minutes drying in the mountain sun had me warm again.

afternoon swim in June Lake

Then it was back to camp again for steak dinners, and some early evening star gazing. Dad and Woody crashed out pretty early, but I walked down to the lake again for a few night photos. I didn't take too long though, because we had another long day ahead.

More pics.

2 comments:

  1. Well lookie there, "Day 1" it is. Oops.

    I love the vomit reference. I'm sad for a sick thrill. What does "silky water" feel like? I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I don't think they've stopped talking about it yet. And Kelsey, you'll just have to find out for yourself. I can't explain it.

    ReplyDelete