Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tuttle Invasion - Around LA And Another Tuttle!

We made it safely back to LA late Tuesday night. The rest of the week Woody and Dad spent hanging round town while I worked during the day (though mostly they walked on the beach or napped at my place) then we'd do something in the evening. They'd come and meet me for lunch but wouldn't really eat anything since they'd usually slept in and had a late breakfast (I think Woody cleaned the Blue Butterfly out of Cap'N Crunch). Basically what I'm saying is they were really lazy. But I guess that's what vacation is for and I think LA seemed a little anticlimactic after our road trip. Besides who am I to talk since all I do is sleep when I go back to Walton to visit (as Woody reminded me repeatedly).

Wednesday we had lunch at Rinaldi's (natch), then that night we drove up to Santa Monica and walked around the Promenade and Pier. After we had dinner at El Tarasco (salsa!). Thursday was burgers at Richmond St. for lunch and a drive around the Palos Verdes Peninsula. At one of the vistas, we thought we saw a shark but it turned out to be just the tide covering and uncovering a rock. When we got all the way around the peninsula, we stopped to look down at the Port of Los Angeles, which is immense. Since we were so close to Long Beach, we popped right on down to Roscoe's for a chicken and waffle dinner (except Woody got the chicken and cheese omelette).

boys

Dave had been at UCLA for a conference the latter half of the week, and Jenny was flying in to meet up with him so we picked her up Friday evening from LAX, then jumped on the freeway to grab Dave on the way to a Dodger game. Unfortunately there was no good way to get across town since the 405 had been a complete bumper-to-bumper mess on our way there. I tried the best I could, but we didn't get there until the top of the third or so. The game was fun as usual with just enough of the usual Dodger rowdiness.

it's time for Dodger baseball!

Late the next morning Dad, Woody, and I had some quick coffee then drove back up to Westwood to grab Dave and Jenny for a day of sightseeing. We hit Pink's for an early lunch on our way to Miracle Mile. We stopped at the La Brea Tar Pits then split up for museum-going. Dave and Jenny to LACMA, and we Tuttle men to the Peterson Auto Museum.

decisions, decisions

Dave enjoying his pile of meats

A couple hours there, then I drove us up to Griffith Park and we stopped at the observatory to look out over LA (and get a picture by the Hollywood sign). I took the scenic way home, through Hollywood, and on Sunset to the ocean. I can't remember where or even if we ate dinner (but I'm pretty sure we did). Shortly thereafter, we dropped Dave and Jenny's stuff at their hotel, and took Woody and Dad to catch their return flight at LAX. The McIntoshs had a midday flight Sunday so we hit up The Kettle in Manhattan Beach for a filling brunch before they left.

the gang

I can honestly say I was pretty beat by the time it was all done, but I'd do it over again in a heartbeat. Thanks so much to all of you for visiting. And come again any time. Miss you all as always.

Last of the pics!

3 comments:

  1. Dinner was the BEST! I don't remember what the name was but I had a fantastic salad...after all those hotdogs. Ugh. It was fun but a little too short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember now. It was Good Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You weren't kidding... you guys really covered a lot of ground. I had no idea how much. Loved the Palos Verdes shots!

    ReplyDelete