Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pittsburgh - Day 4

After three days in Pittsburgh (one and a half of them sightseeing) we had seen virtually all of the top ten attractions. The last suggested (by Yelp, etc.) was the aviary, which, strangely*, was suggested by not only a conglomerate** of websites, but also by one Kelsey Brown.

*I write "strangely" because come to find out (halfway through the tour of the aviary) that Kelsey does not, in fact, like birds on any level. I'm assuming she was thinking of some cute cartoon bird, like in Disney's The Rescuers or The Little Mermaid when she suggested this tour.

**That's for you, B. Meyer.

Those considerations aside, after checking out of the hotel and dropping our bags with the bellhop for the day, we traipsed over to said aviary and we (I) enjoyed gazing and interacting (again, I) with the birds.

Other than the large, black, web-footed bird flying into Kelsey, I've got to say my favorit part was the bald eagles. Those dudes are awesome. I got the feeling they were in the enclosure because they were fine with it. Not because they were in any way constrained by powers beyond themselves. Like they could bust out at any time. Even if the aviary somehow managed to acquire a unicorn exhibit, I doubt I would be so impressed. Maybe ligers would top it.

sorry, kelsey, he's just not that into you

afraid of the poop

best. bird. ever.

the (only) brave lora feeder

At the end of the day, Kelsey and I were ready to leave Pitt, even if not each other. I, for one, had a great time witnessing Kimmer and Emily get hitched, getting to know Brian and Stacy better, getting better acquainted with the steel city, and, of course, spending time with my best gal.

headed west again

The rest of the pics.

3 comments:

  1. I am so blessed to know a man as talented and creative as you. I cherish all the blogs and pictures from this trip! But if you ever take me to a bird-asylum again I will break your Mac and your Cannon into a million little pieces each without even so much as blinking an eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, you suggested it. Know thyself.

    ReplyDelete