Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pittsburgh - Day 2


Last I left you , Kelsey had just ordered the ill-conceived Perogie Pizza. I was, perhaps, the minority opinion in my distaste for this dish, but in all fairness, the girls only liked it once they poured / spilled a half bottle of hot sauce on it. It is my opinion that once you put a half bottle of hot sauce on something, it retains very little of its own essence and becomes just a vessel for the sauce caliente. And by this rationale, I arrive at the conclusion that only my opinion matters. Per usual.

Which brings us to the big day. Well the big day for Emily and Kimmer. My "big day" was actually the baseball game the night before. I kid, I kid. I was very much looking forward to the wedding and had a great time. Mostly.

See the thing about Pittsburgh cab drivers is, they suck. Well, to be more accurate, they suck unless you're giving them a large fare to/from the airport. We got turned down by two different cabs trying to get from the hotel to the wedding. Apparently the cabmen were reluctant to remove their piles of junk from the front passenger seat, insisting that they could only take three (this is not legal by the way, but we didn't have time to file a lawsuit). Mind you these were both Yellow Cab drivers; the much smaller outfit Classy Cab was much more accommodating. So we called Classy Cab and had a ride shortly thereafter.

The wedding was set a beautiful but understated church in a quaint neighborhood eight miles from downtown. It was a very nice ceremony, and things (from my perspective, anyway) seemed to go off without a hitch. Wait, they did get hitched. Let me rephrase... Things seemed to have went without incident.

for better or worse (my money's on on better)

bubble time

The incidents would be for us, after the ceremony. As we out-of-towners had taken a cab out, when people started to depart for the reception, we called for another cab. The once reliable Classy Cab refused our fare based on that we weren't headed back into the city, but to the reception. Yellow Cab agreed, but only after I got an earful on how the person before me had given them an alternate address for the same location (turns out the other party was using the other street - church was on a corner). So wait we did for the 30 minutes Yellow Cab said it would take for the car to arrive. Check that, we waited for 20 minutes at which point Kelsey became impatient and called back the cab company.

patience is a virtue... but not a requirement

Turns out this wasn't a bad thing, as the dispatcher informed us that the cab sent for us had turned around. Apparently another Ryan had called back and said he would be at the Shell Station? Yes, this is what we were told. They promised to send another cab out, and we started the waiting game again. For those of you who don't know, I'll inform you, and for those of you who do, I'll remind you that Brian and my dates are not, how do you say, long on patience. Things were getting tense. Fifteen minutes go by, at which time friends of Kelsey's turn back into the church parking lot, unsuccessful in their attempt to navigate the winding roads of Western PA.

No problem. In exchange for a ride, I was happy to provide directions from my iPhone's GPS feature. I punched in the address for the reception, but, sadly, this bit of technology only made a marginal improvement to the situation. Driving through a light rain through multiple detours and me guessing at directions from the backseat of the minivan unable to see road signs, we eventually arrive at what we think is the Masonic Center, but, perplexingly, no sign of any other wedding attendees, save one couple in a pickup who say this is where their GPS directed them as well.

At this point, I decide it best to kick it old school and look at the directions provided from church to reception hall. Turns out, we were at a Masonic Center... just not the one we're looking for. Reading the directions over, I realize that the correct location is just a short ways from the church, not the eight additional miles away from town as my phone believed. I manage to direct us back along the right path with the other wedding-goers following behind. While everyone else in the van was figuring we would be obscenely late (this is well beyond fashionably late) to the reception, I figured things would be all right. So how surprised were they all to see that just blocks from the destination, the trolley carrying the wedding party peels off the highway and directly in front of us. Perfect. Timing. I knew it all along.

sure, it's funny now

Finally at the reception, we had a grand time, dancing and eating and drinking and reveling through the night. Kimmer and Emily are such a fun couple, and the whole day was a perfect reflection of that. And they provided bus service back to the hotel to boot, so we were quit thankful for that. Although, I'm pretty sad still that Kelsey left our cookie box in our seats (also perhaps her jacket, but I'm personally less sad about that - jackets taste awful).

picture of us (for Mom)

dancing the night away

she's lost that loving feeling

Kimmer and Emily used several of the photos Kelsey and I took
at Christmas for their guestbook; I played it cool with Kelsey
then, but secretly I felt honored

The party went on into the night back at the hotel, though I admit, I did not sustain until the end. Though, Kelsey and I did provide sustenance to those who did by going out on what might be the best pizza run of all time.

best of luck, Grahams


More pics here (again).

1 comment:

  1. You know my grievances with this blog. However, as you reminded me... "It needs that raw emotion to maintain interest..." I suppose you're right. Every writer needs a gorgeous, emotional muse to help complete his masterpiece. I'll guess I'll keep playing my part. :)

    Great blog, and even better pictures! I was so proud to have the most handsome man at this wedding be my +1. Life's better with you by my side. Thanks again for coming!

    ReplyDelete