Monday, November 30, 2009

Plus One

So a couple posts ago I told you all about my new gal Kelsey and out first date out there in San Francisco. If you recall - and I'm sure you all do as you likely pour over each of my posts to the point that it's committed to memory - that actually wasn't supposed to be our first date. She had done me the great honor of granting me the privledge of being her companion to the wedding of her (and my) friend Betsy. I guess you could say that Betsy and Kelsey were closer than, say, Betsey and I. The best evidence of this fact being that Kelsey was in the wedding and I was, ahem... uninvited. Now I've been to a few weddings in recent history, but this one was quite different because (a) it wasn't for one of my sisters, (b) I wasn't responsible for doing anything - see (a), and (c) I got to go with a gorgeous young woman. I win.

I decided to fly in a night early and try and see some old friends from my days at Lewis Cass. We all met up in Indy at Ise's bar for dinner and drinks. We had such a time talking about who knows what; I just remember I was laughing the whole time. So great to see everyone and very generous of Ise (I don't think any of us paid much, and I personally didn't pay for a thing - thanks, Deet). Definitely something we should start doing more often.

the gang

After crashing with Deeter for the night (thanks again, Deet) I headed up towards Kokomo for the wedding festivities, stopping to take care of a few errands on the way. Last being dropping off my rental car where Kelsey picked me up. We stopped off to drop our things - and by drop our things, I mean drop my bag and somehow try to corrall the unsorted contents of Kelsey's trunk together long enough to get them in the hotel (seriously, you're organized?) - before heading to the rehearsal.

The rehearsal was very smooth and quick (didn't seem to be near as many people talking at once as at the other rehearsals I've been to), but then I just had to sit in the back and keep quiet, so it's possible I slepth through a large portion. Kidding. From there it was on to a very nice rehearsal dinner at the Half Moon (?) Brewery. P.S. I had the brisket. Kelsey's parents made it over after to visit, and it was a lot fun hanging out with them and all the wedding party, family, etc.

rehearsal

Saturday morning I was on my own as Kelsey was off doing whatever it is bridal parties do, so I got to sleep in and catch just a little bit of football before departing for the church. The ceremony was really beautiful and everyone involved performed admirably. I was able steal a few moments with Kelsey (who looked so pretty) after the ceremony before she got whisked away with the rest of the contingency for picture time. It was at this point I should have realized how brisk and windy it was outside and offered up my jacket, but I can be pretty dense. I lose.

kelsey (on the right)

With an hour or so to kill before the reception, the Parents Brown and I found a lounge to watch a little football. Once at the reception I began to see a bunch of friendly faces from days gone by (most of which I even remembered). The food was actually excellent, and everyone seemed to be having a rollicking good time. Including Kelsey, who was officially listed in the wedding program as "Friend of the bride: bridesmaid and life of the party." I'm not making this up. Fortunately, I wasn't required to keep up with her at the reception and was free to take pictures and eat cake. We've all got to play to our strengths, right?

bride and groom

life of the party

Kelsey's parents were so kind and made a huge breakfast for us at their house the next morning. It was all delicious. Then we drove over to my parents where we would spend the larger portion of the next two days. But more on that later. Until then, there are more wedding pics here.




4 comments:

  1. Loved the pictures. Nice insults to your small contribution to the sisters' weddings. Funny, I thought that the Indy chairs were Kelsey's luggage artfully arranged for the camera. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You left out the intricate details of my three-piece cake massacre. Thank you. Ry, do you (gulp) like me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure do, Munchkin. Was that gulp out of nervousness or were you swallowing more cake?

    ReplyDelete