Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hot Enough For Ya?

I'd been trying to get out to Death Valley National Park all spring and was finally able to do it last weekend (plus Monday). Now, before I went there I can recall all the horrible thoughts that Death Valley conjured up in my head on hearing the name, and I am sure many of you reading this are in the same boat as well. But really Death Valley, in my opinion, is the best embodiment of California's diverse terrain and ecosystem in the entire state. Yes, its namesake is the lowest, hottest, most brutal son of a gun I have ever come across. To be caught in the lowest, driest portion of the valley without resources is probably a quick path to the hereafter. But... there is so much more.

But... let's start with the valley. More specifically, BADWATER! I'm not sure, but I imagine it was named so because if you drank from there, you would certainly exclaim, "bad water!". It's basically a salt basin in an ancient lake bed, and just happens to be the lowest elevation in the USA at 282 ft. below sea level (see if you can find the "sea level" sign on the neighboring foothill).

Badwater: 282 feet below sea level; it was approaching 100
degrees the day I arrived in

As I have noted, Death Valley is far more than the valley floor that is Badwater. Several miles away - and visible from the floor - sit the Eastern Sierras, including Telescope Peak at over 11,000 ft. In fact - though out of the park - Mt. Whitney, the highest point in the contiguous 48 states, is within two hours drive. A 40 degree temperature difference can often be found with an hour drive in the park.

Aguerberry Point: at about 4500ft. it was nice and cool on Sunday
morning (around 60 degrees); much better than the 97 degrees on the valley floor

After a decent winter snowfall, Death Valley is also one of the most popular places for gazing at California wildflowers. I came well past peek this spring, but they were still around.

Wildflower field thinned out heading into summer

Not to be outdone by the plant and mineral life, the animals of Death Valley represented in numbers this year. Spiders stopped by camp to try and bum a libation. Lizards frolicked about. Gopher snakes - or so I'm told - were present in various animated states, namely, dead and alive. And though I was unable to spot him, I am quite certain that the ever-elusive lionman lurked somewhere about. Got liger? I was hoping to see a tarantula, but maybe next year.

Plenty of other good stuff at the full gallery. But before I leave you a little something for the women.

Being alone in the desert for 3 days can result in you finding goofy
ways to amuse yourself. Call me, ladies! Rrrrowwwwrrr!

Much more interesting stuff to come later this week, including some breathtaking panoramas from my Death Valley trip and my first crack at a time lapse. So stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you made it back alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've got another photo around here of you for "the ladies." You and a few other guys standing on top of a mountain in Colorado with nothing between you and the lens except a rock in hand. Admittedly, some rocks were bigger than others.

    Sweet photos. I can't believe you have a rule about no beer in the tent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mom: yes, pants are required as people keep telling me.

    @Andy: I've still got that (those) pics. It shall not be posted on the internets though. Much more useful as blackmail. It's a bear country precaution. Try not to get my tent smelling like food. (Besides, all tent rules aplly mostly to other people)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos. Looks like fun. I don't have to tell you to have fun, because you obviously are, based on the photos. Be safe...

    ReplyDelete